Thursday, January 31, 2008

First impressions on ODD

After testing the RC1 of the Carbide.C++ IDE for 3 days I could gain first impressions on On-Device-Debugging (ODD):
  • before starting the debug session the application has to be signed and installed onto the device - this is easily handled by the IDE (debug options build configuration and sis builder)
  • after that I could debug a console application very easily
  • I have linked the application against a static link library but when trying to "step into" a function the debugger "stepped over" it :(
  • I also tried to debug a GUI application for Nokia's S60 platform but in this case no breakpoints were reached and the debug session behaved like I was running the application in "non-debug-mode"
  • so debugging via cable worked fine for me
  • next things I will test are:
    • debugging via Bluetooth (BT)
    • debugging a UIQ3 application on device